The Corporate Governance Committee is appointed to discharge the functions of the Council in relation to the Corporate Governance of the Council and to be the Council’s “Audit” Committee.
These responsibilities include:
1. Considering proposals to change the Council’s Constitutional arrangements and making appropriate recommendations to the Council.
2. Governance - Regularly reviewing the Council’s Code of Corporate Governance and recommending any changes to the Council and approving the annual governance statement and reviewing the achievement of any outstanding improvements.
3. Ensuring there are effective arrangements for the management of risk across the Council.
4. Fulfilling the Board responsibilities of the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards and ensuring effective internal audit is undertaken in accordance with these Standards.
5. Receiving and considering external audit reports including the adequacy of management response to issues identified.
6. Final Accounts - Approving the accounting policies, statement of accounts and considering any matters arising from the external audit.
7. To consider the arrangements to secure value for money and review assurances and assessments on the effectiveness of these arrangements.
8. Reviewing and monitoring the policy and procedure and arrangements for investigating disclosures under the Public Interests Disclosure Act 1989.
9. Monitoring the Anti-Fraud and Corruption Strategy and receive annual updates on countering fraud.
10. The promotion and maintenance of high standards of conduct within the Council.
11. To advise the Council on the adoption or revision of its Codes of Conduct for Members.
12. The promotion and maintenance of high standards of conduct within the town and parish councils within Huntingdonshire.
13. To advise the Council on the adoption or revision of a Protocol for Member/Officer relations.
14. To advise the Council on the adoption of a Code of Conduct for Planning and monitoring operation of the Code. (See Article 9 for further detail.)
15. Consideration of reports by the Local Government Ombudsman including compensatory payments.
16. Consider the periodic electoral review and review District and Parish electoral arrangements including boundaries and other electoral matters.
17. Through the Chairman, the Committee will provide the Council with an Annual Report, timed to support the finalisation of the financial statements and the Governance Statement, on how it has discharged its responsibilities.
Access the Corporate Governance Committee Annual Report to Council here.
Support officer: Habbiba Peacey, Democratic Services Officer, Tel: 01480 388169 / email: Habbiba.Peacey@huntingdonshire.gov.uk.